My Scareuary 2024, Entry #11: My Experience

My Scareuary 2024 Experience - A Review

As you know, I've been participating in Scareuary for the month of January. Out of all of the challenges that I set up, I decided that I wanted to work on The Coppe's Webbe challenge (of course I took on the biggest challenge!). For this challenge, I generated a random one-word prompt, and used that to write 4 horror stories. Thankfully, I just about managed to finish the challenge on the second-to-last day of the month! 

I think the great thing about Scareuary is that there's no word count goal or limitations. It's not like a challenge where you have to write X number of words per month. For example, you could write four pieces of 100-word flash fiction for The Coppe's Webbe, and that would be a successful Scareuary. In fact, you could write one 100-word flash fiction for the other challenges (Lingering Fears or The Unseen) and that would be a successful Scareuary.

It creates a flexible writing goal where all you need to do is write something, no matter how short or how long, and complete it in the month of January. I think that's about as easy as it gets when it comes to writing challenges.

 

For my own stories, I ended up writing four short stories, two of which ranged from 2.5-3k words, and two of which ranged from 600-700 words. The four stories I wrote were:

  • The Star Seal
  • A New Spring
  • RRZ Mujannah
  • From a Star in the Ocean

I'm really happy that I was able to complete the challenge. I think that one of the best things about participating in Scareuary for me was the fact that I coincidentally found a whole bunch of horror lit mags that had their submissions open with deadlines in January or February! This motivated me even more; I wanted to write these short stories with the hope that I might be able to submit one of them to these lit mags and (possibly, hopefully) get published!

I think I'll definitely tackle this challenge again next year. Will I do the Coppe's Webbe specifically? I'm not entirely certain. While I really enjoyed doing it, I have to admit that it is a little more time consuming than the other challenges would have been, and I almost didn't complete it. I suppose it'll depend on what I've got on the stove next January. 

I hope more people will participate in the future iterations of Scareuary. I already have the challenges for 2025 picked out, the post written and scheduled, and this time around, I'm going to be advertising it very, very early on - from October onwards! I'm hoping this will help more people get ready for it and allow them to make space for it in their minds and in their schedules. 

Comments

Other Posts You Might Enjoy