Writing Poetry Inspired by Everyday Life

I wouldn't call myself a poet in the professional sense of the word. My poetry is never planned; I don't spend hours editing, cutting out, adding, researching, perfecting. When I write poetry, it is usually as a response to something happening in my everyday life - whether that's some mundane daily routine or a strong emotional reaction or an event that moves me. And in that moment, I write a poem in my mind.

An early poem I wrote and shared via social media.
 

It's usually short - a handful of lines - and purposefully vague. That last part is solely because I am a private person by nature. I don't feel the need to explain, in detail, what it is that has made me feel a certain way. I need only recreate the feeling, the thoughts rushing through my head, the response that I had, in order for readers to connect. And that is all raw - there is no official literary effort on my part, only my mind, the words, and the medium through which I can write them down.

I rarely rhyme, and I don't follow any particular rhythm or meter, but I like to write the words that come to me down on paper in a way that flows in my mind. There is a lilt, a tune, to the poetry in my head, and often I try to recreate that in written language through structure and punctuation.

Another piece I shared via social media, also extremely personal in its origin.
 

Sometimes my poetry is literal, and sometimes it is metaphorical, but always - always - it is directly based on my lived experiences, intrinsically linked to my own voice, and is therefore extremely personal to me. Despite that, I feel - and I have been told - that my poetry moves readers who have not had quite the same experiences as I. I believe this is because, despite our vastly differing daily existences, people share emotions and experiences in a more general sense.

I may not be a great poet - I may not have studied, and I may not toil over my poetry for hours and days - but I believe in the emotional power of poetry that makes people think, that leaves an impact on their days or their lives. I do believe that, for me, the best way to connect is through raw glimpses into my own existence and my own mind, and hope that someone out there understands.

Comments

Other Posts You Might Enjoy